The West Randolph Street crossing has a 160+ year history starting with a floating bridge built in 1847. In 1856, a new swing bridge was built. The swing bridge era ended in 1903 when a Scherzer rolling lift bascule bridge was built. The 1903 bridge was replaced in 1984.
The current bridge opened on December 21, 1984. It is the newest in the group and is similar in design to the bridge built at North Columbus Avenue. The bridge structure consists of two box girders. These girders extend above the bridge deck to rail-height.
The single bridge tender house is on the SE corner of the bridge.